I received a call around late December 2021, early January 2022 to schedule my surgery date. In my brain this was going to be a quick in, quick out...maybe week recovery.
Of course, the tentative date
was in February, smack dab in the middle of gymnastics season for High School
and CC. Naïvely, I looked at the day, and figured it would be a good week
so, we penciled it in... Then I started asking more questions...
1. Will I be able to coach the
weekend after surgery... No
2. How about a week after.... No
3. Will I be ready in a couple
weeks to start training for a 1/2 Marathon... No
I think it was around the third
question when I was flat out reminded, "Hey dumb-dumb, this is like a
MAJOR thing. You WILL be down... This is not just a "little"
thing."
SIX WEEKS RECOVERY... every
question I had, all answered with SIX WEEKS.
In my head it was easy,
peasy. I'd had my implants exchanged before, with a bit of lipo... I was
down about a week.
This was not the same surgery.
Not by a long shot.
I tried to do some research, on
a Hybrid-DIEP flat procedure. I never really found what I was looking
for. There used to be blogs, message boards, websites....Now, it's all
Instagram and Tik-Tok. I spoke with fellow friends to gain their insight
on the surgery. But there just was limited information on true first-hand
accounts of what to anticipate.
I decided to push off the
February date and was offered one in March. This date would occur after
our High School Gymnastics Season and this date felt right. It gave me
plenty of time to prepare. Then I came down with COVID... like many folks
in January 2022... It was a blessing that I pushed off that surgery.
During my Covid recovery and
working with my TU group...I decided what I needed was a game plan. The
beautiful month of January was getting ready to end, and the shortest, yet
longest month of the year was upon us.... February.
I was off tamoxifen for four
months, I felt great!! I had been working out, mentally in a good place.
February would mark my 6th month of finding a better mental space, doing my
"AM" and "PM" routines. I discovered things like,
drinking Sprite Zero at night instead of multiple beers was OK...Having a nice
cup of tea was OK... Slowly, converting my questionable habits, into better
habits. Be accountable was still a mantra, but so was "Consistency
is more important than perfection." Being such a Type A person, I was
always doubting the perfection of things, so it was easy to simply NOT do
them. But, working to understand being more consistent and trying.... was
better than nothing at all.
I asked myself, “What could I
control before surgery?” The answer was
simple... ME.
Drawing from my last breast
surgery with lipo (which- that HURTS), I remembered I could use my arms pretty
well, my abs were blobs but my legs and quads--- THOSE were my saving
grace. Since I had already survived the double mastectomy - you know the
hard part- I assumed my arms would be basically OK. I figured my abs
would be trashed again, but my legs... again, would be my saving grace.
January 30th, I started my
preparation to go into this surgery as strong and as healthy as I possibly
could. Surgery date set for March 15th. My goal, workout EVERYDAY of
February. I was coming off Covid, so I did start a little slow.
Every week, I journaled my
workout schedule for the week, and our meal plans. I set out to do at
least 3-4 Miranda workouts a week, plus 50 minute cardio workouts (my goal was
typically 4 or 5). I had a plan, now the only person that could either
find a way to get it done or find an excuse was me. See, here I am still
being accountable for me. Miranda and the TUs knew my goal and helped me
stay motivated and accountable.
Twice in February, I adjusted
my definition of workout...one day things went completely sideways and all I
was able to fit in was a 12 minute ab circuit. The other "not
perfect workout" day, I was at an all day meet moving mats, coaching,
cheering...and I was simply exhausted at the end of the day. I moved that
entire day, I closed my stand and calorie circles- I counted it a win.
And then I exited February
about 30 pounds lighter and a lean warrior princess!!!!
HA. NOT. Not even
close.
However, I did exit February in
a great mind space, great cardio endurance, and strong. Looking at me, I
was still me. But, I was stronger, healthier, and happy. I was a damn JOY
to be around! Ok, maybe not everyone thought I was a joy, but I felt like I was
nicer.
Recap: February...Prepare for
surgery by being as strong as possible. Schedule March appointments,
pre-op with Dr. Chin, pre-op with primary care, and 6 months oncologist
appointment. Oh, and that work stuff get paperwork in order for that 6
week leave. Yikes.
No comments:
Post a Comment