Nothing like using your analytical mind to assess the past few days.
Let me tell you, there is no way in hell I would have been able to type that sentence yesterday.
This entry is more for me, to recall what happened the past few days. What I need to change for the next session, and what I need to do the same.
Obviously, I lived on chemo day. I think I was just more concerned of the unknown, than anything. Thankfully, some kind friends watched my little ones for me, then kindly sent me on my way with breakfast, soup, and awesome cookies (thanks, Dunn Family)! What happened after we all got home, NO CLUE. I swear I have been on a bender since Friday.
Friday, I saved every bit of energy I had to attend the kids Halloween parties at school. My plan was to take the kids with me to my booster shot appointment at the doctor's office. Smarter people than I decided to borrow my kids so I could get my shot alone (Thanks, Heather!). Luckily, the shot (and driving) was fine. What did I learn?
1. There are people EVERYWHERE watching out for me and my family. I asked for help and everyone was ready to step in at a moments notice.
2. Chemo day-- kids need somewhere to go after school.
3. I have no problem hanging out in chemo land alone, but it was nice to have visitors (for short times). Honestly, if people want to hang, I am going to feel as if I need to amuse and talk to people. It was nice to just have short visits, then a ride home. Apparently, I'm a boring loaner.
4. Plan booster shot while kids are at school; make kids ride bus home.
5. It's OK to say, "No, sorry I need to rest" and not have guilt.
PS- Thanks, AZJenn for the delicious fruit and Aunt Jackie, for the food delivery on Friday!!!
Saturday, I felt OK, but I was concerned about the vomit factor. I still had no clue if I would hurl. My sweet neighbor, Chellee, drove me to our beloved Saturday morning yoga. Our dear friend, and yogi, focused on a class filled with gentle movements, range of motion, and gentle, gentle yoga. It was perfect.
The rest of Saturday, I saved ALL MY ENERGY for trick or treat. Jeff and I had a nice time taking the kids around, while Mammy and Paw-Paw manned our house handing out goodies to kids. Thanks, Jayne and Bill for the help!!!! By, 9:30 the kids were sacked out, and I was icing Lucifer the port.
Biggest side chemo side effect-- TASTE. Blah. Nothing tasted right. Then as the day progressed, I could tell my old nemesis, delayed gastric emptying, was making an appearance. I have not had an issue with that since I was in my first trimester with Calista. So, the answer was small meals. But, really, nothing was moving, so not much food happened after lunch on Saturday.
Once Sunday hit, all my post chemo drugs had been taken. Honestly, can't recall much of Sunday. I know I did not drive. I know I did not feel very well. I know I cleaned out my entire closet and chest of drawers. I think I watched most of the Bengals game. But, Sunday-- a blur.
Monday, the kids had a dentist appointment. Boy did I want to cancel that. But, we went. I decided to tell the dentist, I'm not doing any treatment plans until after March. Let me get on the other side of this chemo thing. And, honestly, I am really debating getting a second opinion on the dental situation. Again, things I will consider later.
Looking back, Monday, was by far the worse day. I had that weird steroid energy, I cleaned another closet. Then the rest of my day was spent having discussions with my digestive system. Chemo REALLY reeked havoc on my digestion. Having delayed gastric emptying and being all stopped up was a MAJOR problem. The oncologist office called and suggested a laxative. Another first for me, in 40 years, I've never used one. All I had on hand was a kids pedialax. Well, it worked, a little too good; then I was scared to leave the house. Thankfully, a fellow Breast Cancer survivor picked my kids up from school for me. Thanks, Katie!!!
I was not a nice person Monday. I was tired, crabby, uncomfortable, and did not want to parent. Soon enough, Jeff came home and I went to bed. Day 4- sleep, Kim. Just sleep.
Adjustments for next Session:
1. Start small meals ASAP.
2. Soup, make sure I have soup for chemo day through day 4 (avoid acidic soup)
3. Stool softener, it's my new friend
4. Water, water, water
5. DO NOT schedule anything for days 3 and 4. Don't expect me to think or be productive on days 3 or 4, unless there is a closet to clean.
6. Figure out Red Box- we will be doing a lot of movies this winter
7. SLEEP
Weird Chemo Side Effects to Note:
1. Taste totally altered
2. Delayed Gastric Emptying
3. Digestion distress
4. FATIGUE
5. Chemo Brain
Now, here I am on day 5 post chemo. Feeling so much better, but I am going to do my best to lay low and enjoying starting the upswing. My trusty pup and I are going to try a very short walk. Such a long way from running a 1/2 marathon, I am just hoping to walk the "flats" of our neighborhood to get in a good 0.5 miles to get my systems back online.
I know this entry is jumbled and odd and not my best work. This is where my brain, body and spirit are right now. If anything, this post will remind me to cherish my health- even on the bad days!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment