Thursday, July 9, 2015

Birthday Woes....

Alternate Title : Screw You Pinterest!

There are many seasons in a year.  For our house, right after the Forth of July, begins birthday season.  When you have children with birthdays 26 calendar days apart, it's an interesting thing.  Now, grant it, there is a year between them, but, during birthday season we have one party, then 2 free weekends, and another one.

The first 5 years were cool.  We had cute family parties and each child had their own separate parties. Then after a few years we combined parties (seriously we invited the same people to each so why not).  Now... now we have reached school age. The age of "I want a party with my friends."  The age of eating crappy pizza, watching a very odd mouse play the air guitar while kids run around on a sugar high asking for MORE TOKENS!

This year, I said no. Let's do an old school backyard party. No frills, no crap, no $20 per kid price tag. Kids playing, playing silly games, and (again) ending in a proper sugar high. Cake made by me, lumpy, not perfect, but perfect for my Shark lover (or so I hope).

Thanks to Pinterest, my quest for a simple seems lame.

I now find myself debating whether a group of 7 year olds will be pissed if they are eating off of plain blue plates, versus a plate with a basic shark face on it? Will they be insulted? Will parents look at my plate choice and go "OMG- what a pathetic plate!" We have been to a few other kids parties, and you know, I could not tell you any plate that was used. Yes, I remember eating cake and getting my own sugar high, but wow- no clue what was on the plate.

Yet, I sit here.  Debating.... blue plate or shark?!  $2.99 for 8 plates or $2.99 for 24 plates?! The pit in my stomach grows.... The items in my "shopping cart" online wait....

Then, the menu.  Initially I was thinking cute Pinterest worthy finger foods, cute labels, etc.  I realize my time to get the cute done is dwindling and Connor would care less if he had special "shark water" labels on drinks.  Crap, the kid can barely even READ the word Shark.

So, yes, here I am sweating details that may be noticed by a couple of parents, but totally over looked by kids.  The kids that just want to play, eat some cake, and maybe wack a piñata. 

I vow, right now, that Connor's Shark party will be an old school 1980's party.  Minimal frill.  Pizza, cup cakes, chips, dip, maybe a watermelon Shark. However, being a Mom in the 2000's I will tell you I will do my best to avoid high fructose corn syrup and peanut products (hey, I know too many nut allergy kids).  No promises on red dye #40, it might  make an appearance.  And most likely the only organic thing will be the grass the kids play on.
 
The kids will play, they will have fun, and they will careless about a friggin plate.

Right now, I need to concern myself with more important problems.  You know, like what if it rains?!


Connor's First Shark Party 2013
CC kept eating the blueberry Shark eyes...

2 comments:

  1. Haha! I love this post, as I can totally relate. I am the woman you talk about here. After a few parties, I have learned to curb some of my crazy. Thanks for the good chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. kim, as usual, what you share is told in such fun detail - but i love that you are going old school my kids loved their parties and almost everyone was spent in our yard having water balloons/water gun fights, lots of ice cream and cake and laughter and almost always wacking a pinata - but i do remember the first one or two parties stressing out about what you mentioned - give em love, laughter, cake and they will be happy - have fun :) Judy

    ReplyDelete