A group of us decided to lace on our shoes and run a 10K on Thanksgiving Day. Being in the middle of the adoption process, I had a lot to be thankful for. One thing was, I was thankful someone was watching Connor so he did not have to run with us that cold day. I remember it began to snow as we crested the bridge to cross back into Ohio from Kentucky. My concern, "Where is my inhaler?"
The next year, as I grew bigger and bigger, Jeff and Katy decided to run a 1/2 marathon. Obviously, being a million months pregnant, and chasing a 10 month old, my training time was none existent. But, we were a racing family. The day before the race, Connor entered his first race, The Diaper Dash, While he was not very dash like, it was still fun and he got his first medal. That is part of the fun of races, the atmosphere of fun that surrounds them. Supporting family, friends and strangers.
Fast forward, After CC was born, again, I laced on my shoes to train for the Thanksgiving Day Race again.
2011, Jeff did the half marathon again, and Katy went for the full Flying Pig Marathon. Her goal, to to a marathon in each state. How cool is that?! But, that year, the kids and I went from stop to stop looking and cheering for Aunt Katy.
Thanks to technology, it was easy to track her so we could meet us to cheer for her (and give her dry socks). As we (Connor, Calista and I) waited for her, Connor ran up to high five people for motivation. There we are around mile 18 and this sweet little man is cheering for complete strangers. I know it helped a few, how could a high five from a 3 year old NOT boost you up?!
| Connor, my cheerleader |
| Going to hug Aunt Katy |
The kids and I went to the finish chute to cheer on Aunt Katy too. The bottom line, race after race. If I was running, or walking, or watching, I NEVER EVER feared for my safety. Obviously, I felt safe, I brought my CHILDREN with me. When it was just me, I was concerned about:
Will I have to poop?
Will I have a massive asthma attack?
Will I find Jeff post race?
If this runner goes down in front of me, can I still do CPR?
With the kids:
I hope no one has to pee.
Will the Iphone battery last?
Please just sit in the stroller and enjoy the snacks
Enjoy the sights kids, this will be a fun run.
When running with the kids, I wanted them to feel the energy in the air as runners and walkers finished their race. I wanted them to experience cheering for strangers and seeing a SMILE cross the face of the people they cheered for. Connor and CC loved it. So, I sucked it up and began pushing them so THEY can race with us. Jeff has the longest legs and stride, so he races, then doubles back to find me. We have done 3 races as a family of four. I really enjoy it. Being a role model for the kids that fitness can be fun, that running is a FAMILY sport.
Hearing of Boston, in my head, all I can think of is waiting at the finish line to get a great picture of Katy finishing. The finish is were the love is, where the excitement is, where the moment of "I DID IT" is. The finish line is joy. However, now, how many of us are going to get close to that line and feel a bit of fear now. How many race back packs sitting on the ground will you look at with a bit of unease. Or a trash can?
The tragedy at Boston has ruined something safe. Like Columbine stabbed me in the heart, making school no longer safe; September 11th, making us question our safety flying, and now marathons?
There is so MUCH to be concerned about when racing (walking or running), and explosive devices never EVER made it on a list of mine. Bad underwear and a poor choice of socks, yes. Being hit by shrapnel, God no. Never in a million years.
Like many Americans, I have stepped into a school since Columbine and felt safe, I have safely flown numerous times since September 11th, and it looks like I will keep on racing. Even if I end up walking more than running, I'm still a lacing up my shoes to go out. You know why, becasue I want to lead by example for these two smiling faces that look back me huffing and puffing.
Trying not to let fear control me is difficult. Sending my child to kindergarten in the wake of the children massacred in Newton, CT frightens the hell out of me. Trying to explain to my son, how to keep himself safe during a lock down makes me nauseated. Explaining the NEED for a lock down is going to be difficult.
I sat on the couch last night debating, if I just stayed home with the kids. If we never left, we'd be safe. But, that's really no way to live, maybe to survive, yes, but not to LIVE.
I need to keep my family safe, but we all need to continue living. We need to continue to know there is more good than bad, and more love than hate. Here is hoping my children are wiser than my generation and generations before me, maybe they will be the ones the are able to turn the world around to be a more peaceful place.
No comments:
Post a Comment