Friday, April 22, 2011

Dear Easter- Where Did You Go?

When I was growing up, Easter was a major holiday, right up there with Christmas and Thanksgiving.  However, somehow, Easter seems to enjoy the ranks of say, Flag Day.  I know it's a religious holiday not all of us celebrate and that is fine. But, in my family it was a BIG DAY.

Like many Catholic families, the lead up to Easter was Lent.  Weeks of going without chocolate or soda.  Then came good Friday, a day off school, yet it was typically filled with going to Mass with my grandparents and maybe going to Mt Adams to "say the steps."

* Side note: Say the steps... In Mt. Adams (an area near downtown Cincinnati) is a church, Holy Cross- Immaculata (actually it was 2 Churches I think they combined in the 60's or something (fact checked with my Mom she stated the 60's and I trust her)).  Anyway, my Mom was married at Immaculata, my Gramma at Holy Cross; numerous family members were married at both Churchs as well as when the Church combined.   Back to the stairs, there are enough stairs and landings that equal a decade of the rosary and the our fathers,etc.  So, by saying the steps, you are saying a full Rosary.  One day, I will bring my kids with me to 'Say the Steps.' Here is a picture I borrowed from their bulletin...


Now, back to Kim's Easter Memories...

I'd have my new fancy Easter Dress and Easter bonnet/hat, We'd all go to Church, then once home I'd have to search for my basket.  My Aunts, Uncles and Cousins would come over we'd hang out, have a HUGE delicious meal, argue, get in fights, I'd get locked in a closet or tied up to a pole in the basement due to me bothering my older cousins.  All in all lots of family fun.  Heck, I'd even been given actual bunnies on Easter ( RIP, Bunnie #1 - Charlie, lived 3 days; RIP, Bunnie #2 - Snowball - Lived a few months)

*Another side note: New Bunnies do NOT like being outside all day the day after Easter when it's 80+degrees.   Even if you find it fun playing with your new bunny, your friend and her Guinea Pig.  What seemed like harmless fun, ended in Bunny Heat Stroke. Lesson learned. However, yes the Guinea Pig lived to tell the tale.

But, as I've grown into adulthood, Easter seems to be the holiday that is observed, but not how it was.  No more big family dinner, egg hunts, gatherings.  People seems to be treating it like another Spring Sunday.  It has begun to bother me. And since, I'm just as guilty of treating it like any other Spring Sunday, I need to make a change. 

It's a little late this year, as we will be having a small gathering, but next year... Next year, I will do something to bring the Easter Spirit back.  I want my children to know Easter is not just another Spring Sunday.  I want them to know the miracle of Jesus rising, and the embrace of family on this day.

If no one end ends up locked in a closet or tied to a pole in the basement, it's just not a proper Holiday :)


Happy Easter from my family to yours! 
He is risen!!!
(OK he will be on Sunday- cut me a little slack!)

No comments:

Post a Comment