Monday, January 13, 2014

Don't Back Up, Don't Back Down

* A Note on the Title- "Don't Back Up, Don't Back Down is what CJ calls Jason Aldean's song "The Only Way I Know." That one ranks up with his other favorite song, "Jacked Up Truck." :)
 
Yesterday was an odd day.

CJ decided to try the sport of wrestling; truth be told, CJ’s parents signed him up for wrestling.  I knew it would be a good sport to keep him occupied in the winter months.  Wrestling would be something new for us all to try and experience.

I knew it would be a physically and mentally demanding sport.  Wrestling, like gymnastics, is not just a physical game of who is stronger, but a mental game.  I hope that CJ learns greater self-confidence, to believe in himself and his abilities, and to have fun. That is a lot to ask for a 5 year old.  To have the confidence to simply step on that mat, alone, is a huge task. 

His first match, the opposing child was maybe a little taller, but not necessarily bigger. It was a good even match up.  As it began, instantly I felt something off.  I felt like I was watching two kids in a pit match.  A primal, physical fight for the win, while all us adults looked on and cheered.  It felt off to me, like how it may have been to cheer the fighters on in the Coliseum.  I’m still trying to make sense of that feeling I had.  I think it is because of the one on one nature of this sport.  There can only be one victor, and he (or she) can only win, alone.  No team to help here.


CJ Match 1

I am essentially a pacifist.  But, I do enjoy a good MMA match.  However, when it’s my son out there and other people are cheering for his opponent to “Stretch” him or “shoot” him. It felt wrong.  When my son came up crying, due to a move the other child did, it was hard.  Tears are ok, physical pain can go away, but it was the mental anguish I did not expect.


CJ Match 1
 

Hearing my son say, “I can’t do this” was hard.  Seeing chinks out of my son’s mental armor was difficult.  I have never seen him so crushed with self-doubt. Never. 

It was not even like CJ wrestled poorly, he was just out wrestled.  Trying to get him back out there was hard.  He wanted to leave, to stop; the tears flowed like a river.  Two choices, give the old “toughen up speech” or validate him.  Yes, CJ, that move hurt, but you are OK.  You are a good wrestler, you can do this.  He looked at me in his tear filled eyes and said, “No mama, I can’t do it.”  My heart began to crumble.  He is a good athlete, but without self-confidence, you will never succeed.  Luckily, I kept up my annoying, “You can do this. Stay on your feet, stay off your back and you will succeed.”  I used all my self-talk tips that I learned during my years in gymnastics.


He was on deck, the butterflies were getting the best of him, “My tummy hurts,” he said.  “I know, Connor, that means you are nervous to go back out.  But you can do this.  You are brave and strong and a good friend.  You are a great person and YOU can do this.” 

“Mama, I am not brave. Can we go home?" 

I had the choice to let him leave or force him out of his safe comfort zone and finish his meet. I was brought up to finish what you start, and this was no exception.  I forced him back on the mat, as he wiped tears from his eyes.  I ran up to the stands and cheered my heart out for him. He looked up at me several times as I kept cheering him on. 

CJ did great, won the match with a pin, and the other little boy left crying.  My heart went out to that little guy, especially when his tough as nails Mom grabbed him and instructed him to “Stop crying right now” through clenched teeth. 

 It’s tough to ask a five year old to “man up.” Let him be five, let him cry; sadness, and fear are real feelings.  I validated CJ’s feelings.  That move DID hurt, it was scary.  But, it’s OK, these things happen.  Then, it’s my job as his parent is to try to teach him how overcome the fear and sadness.

After winning that second match, I thought Connor’s confidence would boost.  I was wrong; still his little head was filled with self-doubt.  Again, I gave the “You are brave for even stepping on the mat alone.  You are a good person, and a good friend.  You can do this next match.  Stay on your feet and off your back.  You can do this.  You just did it last match.”

Self-confidence, CJ, you are learning self-confidence when you are outside of your comfort zone.

He went up for his final match, again, wiping tears as he stepped on the mat.  My heart, I just wanted him to feel like the confident little boy I know him to be.


CJ Match 3
Again, he won the match.  Again, I cheered my heart out.  Again, the other little boy cried. I felt bad that Connor’s take downs resulted in tears.  But, my Mom was quick to add, no Mom came up to me when her son made my son cry.  She was right; it is part of sport, even if it’s the yucky side of sport.

CJ finished the meet, placing in second place.  He received his medal and was all smiles.

Wresting is a demanding sport.  I hope CJ decides to complete in another meet. I hope he did gain some confidence.  I do hope he learns to lose and win gracefully.  As for me, I am sure wrestling will teach me more lessons as well.  That, I did not expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment