In case you find yourself out of the proper Nick Jr age demographic (ages 0 to 5, and parents of all ages), Bubble Puppy is a puppy from the show Bubble Guppies. A cute show about these under water kids/mermaid/merman?? Okay, well, It is a little complicated. Bottom line, cute kids show. Let's do a little background on this...
Bubble Puppy was first in an episode where a character named Gil was looking into adopting a puppy. Gil, a sweet little blue haired Mer-man, had to learn how to take care of an animal and had to learn the word adoption.
You know me and adoption, I was ready to hear how Nick Jr explained it. The explanation was simple, you give the puppy a good home, care for it, and love it. OK, so if Connor applied this to himself, we gave him a good home, love him and care for him. Simple, but it works.
Of course, being me, I was all, "Look Connor, Bubble Puppy was adopted, like you. How does that make you feel?" (I know, what the hell was I thinking comparing his adoption to a cartoon fish-dog, but the point was the get the word ADOPTION out of his mouth). In typical Connor fashion, he answered, "That is OK, so you gave me a home and loved me. You know, after I knocked to get out of D's belly." Yes, Connor, something like that...but a whole lot more. Then, being me, I went on to say how adoption is forever, how we will always love him, like Gil will always love and care for Bubble Puppy. I think his eyes began to glaze over in typical "Mommy is talking to much and all I want to do is watch my show" look.
So, that episode was in 2011, a few months after we lost Magnum. At that point, no one was ready to even THINK about adopting a dog.
For about a year, I had been trolling the Internet, looking at Doberman rescues, boxer rescues, no-kill shelters, Petfinder, Puppy finder, any web site that might lead us to our new puppy. If I was to analyze myself, I would say this... With my oldest son, going off to Kindergarten, CC going next year, and Higgins turning 10, I was ready for another dog. My nest was looking like it was going to be empty sooner than later.
The thought that frightened me most, was the day I walk into my office and there would be no children and no wet nosed four legger coming to great me. Having a day without a dog was not an option. While Higgins is currently very healthy (minus his totally horrible knees), I knew we had time. And I also, wanted to make sure I had "overlap" of Higgins and the new puppy. Therefore, I stopped at adoption events, talked to the kids and Jeff about another puppy, and basically tried to not rush into anything. Again in typical Kim fashion, I researched.
One day, I called about a puppy, but then we decided it was not the right time or puppy. Next puppy we found, I was 1 day late in meeting him, he was adopted. It was like adopting Connor, you get close, then a minor set back. The journey was filled with bumps in the road, but eventually, I knew our puppy would find us. I had faith. God has shown me time and time again, my timeline does not always co-inside with his, so I held onto faith that things would be great in the end.
I had a major work trip, and spent hours watching software load. Which meant I had some time to kill. I came across a litter of 6 girl puppies, they were a Boxer and Rottweiler mix. 3 black and white, 1 all white, 1 all tan, and one tan and white. Three dogs had docked tails, and three dogs had full length tails. They were a mixed up little bunch. They were to be at an adoption even the next weekend.
On the way to the adoption event, I give the kids a talk about, if this puppy is not right for our family, the right puppy will find us. We get there to find, the litter of puppies went to the wrong location, and are about an hour away. Great. So, is this a sign? Well, Jeff decides it would be a great time for lunch, watch some football, and drink a beer. During lunch we debated more on if this was the right time or not. We all agreed we would look, and make a family decision. Of course, all Connor heard was "WE ARE GETTING A PUPPY!!!!" Ugh.
Back to the event, Jeff and CC were holding one pup, Connor and I were holding another. Connor and I were thinking black, but Jeff and CC liked this weird little dog with all these unique markings. After a little compromise, we made the plunge, and ended up with this little bit.
Yep, that is our latest adoption, Bailey-Bird Howell. Jeff swears she resembles Bubble Puppy, which I do kind of agree!!! I think she has a little of Magnum in her. Mannerisms, and such. It is very uncanny.
We decided to name her Bailey; that was almost Calista's name (we were watching a lot of WKRP in Cincinnati at that time). Bailey is a sweet little mellow dog (with me), but turns ALL puppy with new people she meets. I forgot all about the puppy stage of crate training, crying, house training, and all the yucky parts. I forgot how dogs play a little rough and we ended up with our first vet appoint due to a rough play session and a mis-guided Doberman tooth. Higgins did not mean to hurt her, but, she got toothed anyway. Tis the life of a dog owner.
We are trying to teach the kids to not act like "prey" when Bailey chases them. CC has figured out Bailey will eat any food she gives her, and Bailey likes to chew anything on the floor (lots crayons, markers, and handless/fingerless Barbies and Action Figures - RIP Dark Vader).
Jeff will tell you she is my dog, but I will tell 100% she is Higgins dog. That puppy LOVES him, and he is a doting Momma to her. Connor also is a great big brother to her, always looking to help or play with her. Once she gets a little less puppy (i.e. bitey) I am sure they will spend hours on adventures together. As for CC, once she figures out how to dress Bailey up for tea parties, I think their relationship will blossom. I am so happy we decided to add to our family.
Now, when Connor and I have discussed adoption, he still tells me he "knocked" to get out of D's belly (ha-ha, not what she or I recall). He will tell you we adopted Bailey, but she is ours forever and we love her always, even when she pees on the floor. I was lucky we were able to show our son how adoption works. He loves Bailey with all his heart, so I think he has a glimpse of how filled our hearts are with love for him.
Happy Adoption Month.
PS- Bubble Puppy also a band from the 70's- who knew?!

No comments:
Post a Comment