Lucky for me, when I was married, Mom still had the pillow to pass to me. Unfortunately, that pillow went MIA after my darling little cousin ran down the aisle with it to join the men at the alter. But, this post is not about a pillow.
I remember trying on my Gramma's gown when I was in eighth grade, it fit perfect--- minus the chest area. I was the lone female of our family, not to be blessed with an ample bosom. But, I remember how that dress felt, even if the train was cut. I felt special up in our little attic, next to the cedar chest. Next, my Mom pulled out her dress to let me try. Wow, going from a vintage 1930's gown, to a fluffy, vintage 1970's gown was different. Two gowns, with to totally different feels and styles. Yet, the stories that started to pour out of my Mom and Gramma about how they got their gowns were amazing. It was an incredible feeling to wear such history.
When I was married, we used the ring pillow made from Gramma's dress, and I used my Mom's beautiful veil. While preparing for our wedding, I remember lots of people asking about gown preservation and such. Obviously, I had tried on two generations of wedding gowns, had either of them been "preserved" I doubt the box would have ever been opened for me in eighth grade. I knew if I preserved my gown, it would sit on a shelf or in an attic for who knows how long.
I had seen a magazine article about keeping your wedding dress in a closet, and taking a picture of your daughter in it each year. For a while, I was sure no one would ever wear my gown; unless it was me, in the middle of a mental breakdown. For 12 years, my gown sat in our cedar closet, just hanging.
Now, enter in princess CC. Last week, on our 12th anniversary, I let her try on my "princess dress." As I opened up the dress bag, I was so sad to see dark brown spots on it. I thought there was a tear, but I did not find one. Just ugly spots. I guess something spilt on it back in 2000.
Not to be thwarted by the spots, CC was dying to try on the gown. Connor joined the action by wearing my head piece. I have no idea if CC will ever want to use my gown as she gets older, but, for now, I hope to let her try on my gown on my next anniversaries. I hope she enjoys the memory of it, as I still remember trying on my Mom and Gramma's gowns...
![]() |
| Gramma, circa the 1930's |
![]() |
| My Mom, circa 1970 |
![]() |
| Me, circa 2000 |
| CC, circa 2012 |
| She has a little more growing to do |



No comments:
Post a Comment