Those choices could be an anniversary gift for 12 years.
Wow. 12 years?!
Not too bad for two kids that were:
- Products of the 70's
- Products of divorced parents
- Products of a loving family
- Products of a strong support system of an extended family
Products, I remember 20/20 using that term for us "kids" of divorced parents, "product of a broken marriage." Like we are some kind of bruised tomato or something. Hence, I choose that language, as that was how I remember society thinking of me growing up, "Product of divorce and raised by a single mother." It was said by some well off single guy doing a report. I wasn't a product so much as a PERSON. But, 20/20 goes for ratings, not necessarily the fuzzy feeling stories.
Anyway, for 2 products, Jeff and I have not done too bad :)
I used to tease that one of my "marriage goals" was to see if we could stay married longer than our parents. If you have read any of my previous anniversary posts, you know it is so very important to Jeff and I not be those kids of divorced parents that end up getting divorced themselves. Screw all the psycho babble of Jeff and I (aka: products of the divorced parents) not "respecting" the institution of marriage because we did not grow up in a two parent house hold. If anything, those researchers in the 80's were off base. At least for us.
We choose to value the "institution" of marriage. We have a marriage built on respect, honesty, and trust. I think trust is the big one that trips up some people, as well as honesty. Really, if I cannot be honest with Jeff, what do I have? Unfortunately, the honesty is the good, the bad and the ugly. The truth is not always fun.
Our marriage is not all rainbows and unicorns. We have been blessed that the last 4 years have had a lot more ups then downs. We did our dues with the downs for all those years with infertility. But, having weathered that storm, we are nearly invincible as a couple. We love each other deeply, and we support each other.
So, even though we are that "product" of the late 70's -- the kids that were to be traumatized for life -- we ended up OK. Neither of us have knocked-off a liquor store or robbed a bank, so I call it a success.
Cheers to my hus-a-bin, I love you more and more everyday. Although I will not be the "one in white" on 9/23 this year, I'll be the one sitting next you hoping the Bengals can pull out another win this weekend... Now THAT is love :) Heck on second thought, maybe I will be in white, it's totally normal to wear your wedding gown to watch football, right?! :)
![]() |
| 9-23-2000 |

No comments:
Post a Comment